Assorted Other Projects

 Not every project I've worked on is my own, some projects I've worked on have been part of my colleges studio, which you can work at as a course. Unfortunately evidence that I've actually worked on these seems to be lost for now, I'll add pictures/videos if I find them. I also don't know the status of these games today. For all I know they were just quietly cancelled.


Looters of the Arcane

This is a survival horror game, where you travel through time to acquire artifacts from historic eras. I was a tester and level designer, I feel like I butted heads with the designers a bit much over small things, like if you reload with bullets still in the clip, you lose that ammo, and I knew people were going to instinctively reload, even after one shot. The argument I got for keeping things this way was because it's 'more realistic'

As for my level design work, I designed the game's fifth level, a pirate themed world. The main gimmick are the numerous chests littered around the map. The artifact moves from chest to chest, but can't move into one that is open. There are a couple landmarks that can help you remember where things are. There's a stone mountain on the North side, with a campfire nearby, that you can see the smoke from just about anywhere, and a cave that encompasses the Southwest side.

Dungeoneer/Kill the Rogue

This game was a roguelike game, but with two players, with one building the dungeons and the other running through it. It admittedly didn't get terribly far. I was on this team as an artist and a designer

I actually originally joined as just an artist, to change things up from before. My main task was to make sprites for the items in the game, but there were only like 6 items in the main list, far too low for any roguelike, especially one with a weapon triangle like what we were planning. I did pester the designers for a while to make more items, but they never did, eventually I just decided to make a bunch of new items and weapons myself, and sprited those.

Our team for this had two leaders, and I made a note to myself after Looters to not butt so hard with the designers. Anyway, they're were enthusiastic, sure, but they weren't the best leaders, sometime into the semester, they stopped showing up to the weekly meetings, at the same time, one of our leads was the only one with the build of the game, after a while of this happening, we just decided to make our own build, and had one in a couple hours.

I do not know if Dungeoneer is still being developed, it turns out there's a different game called dungeoneer, so the name had to be changed at some point, though I have a suspicion that it was cancelled entirely.

Update 12/15/2020
I've discovered the new name of this project, being Kill the Rogue, as found on an old file. The game has a Twitter, though it hasn't been active in quite some time, it's safe to assume development has ceased.

Game a Week

This was a class for a semester, the concept was simple, make a game every week, following the theme each week, I'll leave a link to a playlist with all of them, the descriptions of these videos will explain further what the themes were and how the games worked

https://youtu.be/B_ETLFXghbc?list=PLXl1S1yS3mUcxQMC8q2tYF_UgMTeKIwYr 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowbox

Older Works

Community Statement