Degree Objectives

     My game design degree requires a few things to be done, and this page shows the objectives and what I have for each, and links to that project if applicable

    1: Prototype and complete original games for multiple platforms following the full game production pipeline

Cloud Hop and Shadowbox will fill this role, there’s a few tools I’ll be using, including Construct 2 for the engine, Aseprite for the sprites, and Photoshop for other art (though outside the game itself, probably). The use of Construct over other mainstream engines like Unity or Unreal has to do with my inexperience with programming, frankly I want to actually build the game, not spend half the semester just figuring out how the engine works.

I've added a new page that details other engines I've worked with in the past, including Unreal 4, and some more obscure ones.

Here is a few images from a board game I helped make some time ago

Also here is a GDD for a game I made a while ago, with a color theme, and this GDD for a level I made for Looters of the Arcane

    2. Create and implement game elements, systems, and play mechanics using industry- standard tools, techniques, and production methods, including art or scripting/programming applications. 

Shadowbox is being built in Construct 2, with sprites made in Aseprite. Aseprite is fairly common, to what I’ve seen, but Construct 2 is an oddity as far as I’m aware, especially now that a third iteration exists.

I also have an art page that showcases stuff I made in Photoshop, things that will have appearences in and out of games.

On top of that, an old Unity project I made uses textures I made in photoshop

    3. Demonstrate effective game design practices and techniques within the project scope and context such as genre, style, platform, and audience. 

The games I made in Game-a-week fit this very well, I had to maintain a fair scope and schedule to get the games finished on time, even if the final product is very short as a game. They do not have their own post on the blog, not because they're bad, I just want to highlight further what I consider my greater projects, however, the page that talks about game a week has a link to a playlist of all of them, and it's there that I describe the individual projects.

The page for Shadowbox also describes the process that led to the finished project, including pre production, prototyping, and it's many iterations.

I also have this set of items showing the whole process of design and creation

A Hat in Time level design pre production

It's video milestones

The postmortem

    4. Demonstrate the ability to evaluate game designs for a variety of game play mechanics, game applications, and game genres.

I’ve done this on multiple occasions, the problem is that these individually are scattered across many things I’ve written for classes, They've been compiled here

I have some old design documents here

A level design pre production

Heart and Slash PvP

Best and worst levels

    5. Effectively articulate game design elements and mechanics across disciplines utilizing written and verbal communication skills.

I can talk about other games, sure, and I used to have difficulty explaining Shadowbox, though somewhat recently I’ve put together a PowerPoint that explains in detail how everything is going to work. So I can use that as a guideline to Shadowboxes’ mechanics, they are explained in Shadowboxes' own post

There are also other games talked about here

There is also some design docs featured on my page about older projects

And now, a number of analyses I dug up from awhile ago, links listed here

Guiding players

Rewarding players

Design challenge: Death

    6. Establish collaboration, mentorship, and professional leadership skills by working with other disciplines to deliver highly polished and completed projects.

I’ve worked in production studio as a designer and artist respectively, and worked on a game jam as a character artist, though I haven’t led a development team as of yet. However, I have a few contacts to call when I start trying to put together something grander, likely I'll start with something small, like a Rivals of Aether workshop character, or a number of smaller ideas I have on games to make.

The rivals character is in the works, but I can't completely focus on it yet due to college.

I can't find the game jam page for one of the games I worked, unfortunately, it was called Fix Our Game, where it began looking completely normal, then 'crashes' not long in, then you must get packets to restore game features and mechanics. I was an artist and sound guy on that team, we had a lot of fun with it.

There are other previous group projects (including production studio) on the other projects page, as well as a Rivals character modding on the design analysis page. Me and a friend have made edits to a workshop character, and we've started on a new character from scratch, also shown on the same page.

The pirate board game fits well, as I was both an artist and designer, and helped the team come up with card effects. I also made icons and art for the cards

I also found this presentation the explains the rules

Also to show, this tutorial on Construct 2 that I had written up

part 1

part 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowbox

Older Works

Community Statement